Friday, August 5, 2011

Quotes for success


This is the white board on my refrigerator. I see it every day when I'm scrounging for foodstuffs. Most of the time I don't pay much attention to it. I've seen it before. I'll see it again. But today I paused and re-read each magnet, slip of paper and scribbled reminder. These aren't the only magnets or images on my fridge. These are just grouped together in a helpful and ironic way. Yes, next to my reminder to run I have a magnet about a fat-loving civilization. And next to this white board I have a picture ripped out from a Victoria's Secret catalog. I admit it. I covet one of the model's airbrushed abs.

"Don't put off till tomorrow what you can today!" I know I've blogged about procrastination before. It's a problem that relates to every aspect of my life...not just running. Though I don't often pay attention to this reminder, when I do, I promptly walk over to the dishwasher and put up the dishes. Or something like that.

"With the time and energy we've spent dieting, we could have built a small, fat-loving civilization." This one is from my darling friend who sends me all those encouraging text messages. It may not seem to belong on this white board. But it does. It most definitely does. It's a reminder to myself that sometimes ice cream is a good thing. It tells me not to obsess over my body.

"If you think you'll have more time to run tomorrow, remember, you said that yesterday." I warned you. Procrastination is an issue. This little advertisement is poignant. It points out the vicious cycle that begins when you get just a little off track. Tomorrow turns into next week, which turns into next month, which turns into next year, which turns into never. Advertisers really are brilliant.

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination..." Everyone knows this one. And before I quote the entire magnet, let me say this: I've learned to love running because it keeps me present in that moment. My mind may temporarily drift, but mostly I am centered during that run. Even when it's brutally heat and the sun is boring into my skin and sweat is stinging my eyes, I am in that moment. Each step is important. Each breath is crucial. It keeps me grounded. I can work out my frustration. I can laugh. I can cry. I can meditate. That's running. And sometimes I forget that when I'm not doing it.

So here's the most important magnet:

"for a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. but there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. at last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. this perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. happiness is the way. so treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one."

1 comment: