Monday, April 4, 2011

I want to be an adventurer!

In addition to running, I've been reading. Yes. Reading. That's what I do. Once I become interested in a topic, I must learn more about it. So now I'm a proud subscriber of Runner's World and Outside magazine in addition to the subscription to Women's Health, which I already had. That brings me back to the title of this blog post: I want to be an adventurer. The more I read these magazines and look at photos of these super humans doing amazing thugs like running ultramarathons in Canada and climbing Mount Everest and hiking the Amazon, the more I want to take part. No, my next blog won't be about how I decided to trek the farthest reaches of the world. Yet, I can't help but wonder what it must be like to create adventure in a world where there are few or no undiscovered places. And to get to the bits of adventure coveted in these magazines, one must have an endless supply of money or be willing to live poorer than poor. Sure, I would love to go run the marathon in New York and a trail run in Vancouver. Biking across New Zealand sounds like a blast. Climbing and hiking in the Himalayas sounds simultaneously challenging and peaceful.

Instead I'm stuck in Texas with barely enough money to spare to sign up for an occasional road race near home. And it's not exactly like Colorado with seemingly endless outdoor possibilities. It's all flat land and highway and dried up rivers in the summer. So, dear reader, I want your input. What kind of adventure can I find close to home? Save me from the doldrums of treadmill running and running on busy roads near my apartment. I have an active imagination. Maybe if I find a big enough hill, I can pretend I'm climbing Everest.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment